Chimamanda Ngozi’s TED Talk is an example of
her story about her encounters with others who had their own stories. She
covers the problems that happen when people have one story and one type of
story. She used so many example that explain how one story or experience you
have cannot be the only one you open your mind to. She explain the danger of
reading one type of book. How from those books she only believed that blond
haired, blue eyed, English people existed in stories. These stories closed her
mind to the many types of people there are as well as that there are more
people like her. This is something that took me almost to college to really
experience. I had two people of color in my entire high school, though I had
read and know of the many other cultures that exist, it wasn’t until college in
the south that I experience communities different then my own. This video was
another reminder to never use the experiences and stories I’ve heard to
categorize new people who I meet. This has been something I was able to start
practicing in college but something that I will continue as a teacher. Everyone
has their own story specific to them, No story I hear will be the same for
someone else. It is important that I understand that everyone student has their
own story. That I don’t assume something because how they look, how they talk,
or where they have come from. This topic is very similar to the discussion I
have in my anthropology course. We take a look into other cultures but we are
always reminded that no matter how much reading and studying you do there is no
way to understand a culture or someone’s life unless you are immersed in their
lifestyle and culture. It is important to know students have their own life
story but it is also important to teach them of other’s stories. So that they
are not closed minded by their own experience and they are aware of the dangers
of a single story.
I agree, we each have our own story. Recently the notion of having literature that offers a balance of "windows" and "mirrors" was presented to me... this has been a powerful image for me to hold onto and think about.
ReplyDelete